"Allow ads" and Popups on Chrome to avoid redirection of your browsers.

Rohr reveals best match as Super Eagles coach

Forum 1 week ago

Rohr reveals best match as Super Eagles coach

Former head coach of Nigeria’s Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, has revealed his best match during his time in charge of the team.

The 71-year-old German, who is currently the manager of the national team of Benin Republic, said that the win against Zambia in a 2018 World Cup qualifier in October 2017 was his best match as coach of the Super Eagles.

According to him, that particular encounter gave Nigeria the qualification ticket for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Rohr spoke at his pre-match press conference ahead of Nigeria’s 2025 Africa Cup of Nations, AFCON, qualifying match against Benin Republic on Saturday evening at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo.

“The matches you spoke about were fantastic. My first match was here, against Tanzania, we won it. We had to go to Zambia and we won it. We started with victories here against the team you talked about,” Rohr said.

“The victory against newly crowned African champions Cameroon was a big one, particularly wonderful for us.

“The 1-0 victory against Zambia which gave us qualification for the World Cup was the best one. After we went to Algeria, we played a good match, drawing but lost on the green carpet.

“Fortunately for everybody, we were already qualified.”

Rohr spent five years with the Super Eagles and was shown the exit door by the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, one month before the 2021 AFCON.

During his tenure, Nigeria had notable victories against Zambia, Algeria, Cameroon, Argentina, Poland and Libya and held both Brazil and Ukraine to draws.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Friday the 13th Director Reveals Potential Release Window for Crystal Lake Prequel Series
Forum | 4 hours ago

Friday the 13th Director Reveals Potential Release Window for Crystal Lake Prequel Series

Walking out of my marriage best decision I ever made – Tonto Dikeh
Forum | 21 hours ago

Walking out of my marriage best decision I ever made – Tonto Dikeh

‘They were offering peanuts’ – Chippa United chief reveals reason for not selling Nwabali
Forum | 22 hours ago

‘They were offering peanuts’ – Chippa United chief reveals reason for not selling Nwabali

Turkish Super Lig: He’s very active – Kahveci on Osimhen
Forum | 22 hours ago

Turkish Super Lig: He’s very active – Kahveci on Osimhen