"Allow ads" and Popups on Chrome to avoid redirection of your browsers.

Kaduna residents express concern about hunger as protests keep them indoors

Forum 1 month ago

Kaduna residents express concern about hunger as protests keep them indoors

Kaduna residents are complaining about an exacerbating hunger situation as they are confined to their homes following the commencement of protests across the state.

Many of them expressed their desire to go about their normal businesses for as long as the protest lasts, saying they feed their families from their daily businesses.

Several residents who spoke to Waploaded in Kaduna on Thursday said staying indoors complicates their challenges.

A resident of Kakuri, widow and food vendor Alice Agama, said she sells cooked food to feed her five children.

Staying indoors today means her children have to stay hungry throughout the day, she lamented.

“I planned to cook early this morning and try to sell, but I came to understand that my customers are not coming out because of protests. It’s from what I sell that I use the profits to feed my children,” she wailed.

Also, Mallam Shuabu, a wear hawker from Ungwar Television, said he cannot go out today for fear of the unknown as the protest commences.

“From what I sell, I buy drugs for my ailing wife and feed my two children. But, since there is protest, I cannot move anywhere,” he said.

Dr John Alabama, a pharmacist whose shops are located in Kaduna Central Market, said his shops remain closed because of the protest.

According to him, he realizes over N20,000 every day from sales of drugs and uses part of the money to buy foodstuffs and distribute them to the less privileged.

“I have an orphanage home in Mararaban Kajuru, where I send foodstuff and drinks every day, and even use my drugs to treat the orphans when they are sick. But since the protest commenced today, I cannot open my shop. How to feed these orphans is an issue for me now,” he said.

Meanwhile, youths between the ages of 12 and 35 are standing holding a banner with inscriptions such as “Tinubu, enough is enough,” “Bring back our fuel subsidy,” “We are hungry,” “No food, no work,” and “There is hunger in the land.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Kate Henshaw voices concern over Nigeria’s pedestrian laws
Forum | 5 hours ago

Kate Henshaw voices concern over Nigeria’s pedestrian laws

Kaduna State College of Nursing & Midwifery entrance exam schedule, 2024/2025
Forum | 12 hours ago

Kaduna State College of Nursing & Midwifery entrance exam schedule, 2024/2025

Kaduna chapter rejects Nenadi Usman as Labour Party national caretaker chair
Forum | 3 days ago

Kaduna chapter rejects Nenadi Usman as Labour Party national caretaker chair

BBNaija: We only guessed they were dating, we didn’t know they are married – Fairme, Mickey express surprise at Kassia and Kellyrae’s relationship
Forum | 5 days ago

BBNaija: We only guessed they were dating, we didn’t know they are married – Fairme, Mickey express surprise at Kassia and Kellyrae’s relationship